Royal Berkshire Fishery - June 2013

This weeks session was at a lake I have not fished for well over 15 years, I couldnt even remember where it was!!

A mate of mine was already fishing there, and has been for a while now.
So with him moaning at me constantly to go with him, and with me having an afternoon free due to a cancelled appointmemt, I joined Jamie at Royal Berkshire Fishery to see what the lakes were like.

There are 3 lakes and a stock pond on the site, as well as a cafe and toilets.

Upon arrival, I paid my £8day ticket and made my way round to lake 3 to meet up with Jamie. He had been there for a few hours before me, and had already had a few carp, he has quite a strange way of fishing (to me anyway), it involves 20mtrs of pole and 6inches of line, and thats it!
He ships the pole over to the island laying it on the water and then just sprays pellets over the top. I find it really hard to comprehend that the method would work, but it does! He caught fish throughout the day ending with the same amount of carp as me (while I was there, as he hadsome before I arrived)

I settled into the next peg along from him so we could still chat and have some banter if I caught more than him!
The island in the middle of the lake is full of little cut outs, giving each peg its own distinct features, mine was full of features, undercut banks on the island, an overhanging bush, aswell as open water and reeds in my own margin.




I started by fishing the pellet waggler, set at 3 foot, right accross under the tree on tne island (as you can see in thr above picture) I was feeding 6 and 8mm swim stim pellets and using the same on the hook, just alternating between the two. I also had some 8mm robin red pellets to change to if i needed it.
In my bag I also had a bag of 1 and 3mm to use with the method feeder if the pellet wag didnt work out.




I started the session as I do with all pellet wag sessions, by setting everything up, then spending 10mins or so feeding and watching. By doing this I can see how the fish are responding to the feed and gain their confidence before start fishing.




Straight off using 6mm pellet on the band I was catching roach, so a change to 8mm had the biggest carp of the day in the net shortly after at about 9lb.
I stuck with the 8mm hookbait and landed 2 more slightly smaller carp of about 6lb, a couple of small bream of about 2lb and some nice decent roach getting on for 1lb.
Then all went quiet, so I stopped feeding and went over to chat with Jamie for 5mins.
Back in my swim, first cast back out and bang, i was in again. The carp in here fight very hard, and I lost a couple that took me into the island. I also lost one bigger fish that took me round the island, I just couldnt stop it at all!
Throughout the day I played about with the depth, alternating between 1 and 4 foot to keep bites coming






Not long after, I had a fish take me through am underwater obstacle, which had me stuck solid. After a minutes or so of pulling in different directions, the line parted above the float so I lost the whole set up!

I decided that as I only had half hour left I would set up a method feeder, and fish with that for the remainder of the session. I had been feeding pellet for about 4 hours so figured there must be slme fish grubbing about on the bottom.
So I set up a 15g drennan method feeder, and a short 3inch hooklength.
I then soaked some 3mm pellets in water for 3mins, drained of the water and left them while I finished setting the rig up.



By the time the rig was set up, the pellet was ready.
I used a 8mm pellet on the hook, placed the hook and bait in the groundbait mould, then filled it with pellet, pushed the feeder into the mould, and pressed it down hard, the result looks like this .........


Some accurate casting had the feeder landing inches from the bank, right in amougst the feed that I had been putting in all afternoon.




A couple more roach, 3 more bream upto about 4lb and 2 lost carp and it was time to call it a day and join the friday night m25 traffic back home


I used the guru pellet hooks all session, and am very impressed with them. They are very sharp, the hook holds were very good, with no tearing or damage that I could see.
A firm favourite for this style of fishing thats for sure.

I also had chance to use my new landing net, which im quite impressed with.



More than big enough to engulf double figure carp, and quick drying, which was good as its covered in bream slime now!
2 good purchases it seems after using them for the first time, ill update more when i have used them more.

Until next time .........

posted from Bloggeroid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Guru adjustable catapult

2013 season review

New blog, new season