2012 season preparation

My preparations this year have seen me conpletely sort out all my coarse fishing gear.
Having not fished with a float or feeder rod for about 2 years I decided this year I would do more of it.
First up was putting all my gear into my new korum all rounder holdall.
This really is a brilliant bag for the general coarse fisherman, it has a massive main compartment, big enough to hold reels, bait, large fox box, feeder bag plus more. 2 end pockets for catapults, rod rest heads etc, a long zipped pocket big enough to take my boss bait table, and finally a net pocket which hold my keepnet and 2 landing nets.
For £30 you really are getting alot of bag for the money and the quality of it is brilliant.

Once I had sorted all my gear into a pile I decided to go through it before putting it in its new home and sort out the stuff that needed replacing or stuff I didnt need anymore.
I managed to sort out my feeders and I had a surplus of about 30!! So these were sold off.
Next up was new line on my reels. Ultima power plus is the line I choose, its very thin for its breaking strain, and I have alot of faith in it. I use it on my carp and barbel rods too in heavier breaking strains. I filled 3 spools with 3, 4 and 6lb breaking strains.
Next was to replace some bits that I needed, a new catapult, some pellet floats, pellet bands, and some method feeders.
I chose the guru adjustable catapult, it was slightly cheaper than the drennan alternative, and much better looking.

Its very unique because you can alter the elastic to give you different ranges.



The idea is a very good one, but it does have some slight problems, but more on that on my next blog at barons pond.

As I have intended to have a few sessions targetting a small commercial fishery near me call Barons Pond, I decided that I would need some pellet wagglers and some small method feeders.
For the pellet wagglers I chose the preston innovations unloaded and maver foam ones.



These take between 3 and 6ssg shot so should cater for all occasions.

I looked at several different method feeders including the Guru x safe ones, but in the end settled for the Drennan feeders.



The reason behind this is because they come in 15gm size which would mean I could use it with my existing rod and reel set up. Any heavier and I would probably have struggled to cast them and would have needed a stronger rod.



The kit comes with a mould so you can make perfect sized feeders everytime, which will aid with accuracy as they will all be identical in weight and shape. They also some with a small stonfo connector making hooklength to mainline attatchment very easy. All in all, a very good simple system.

I also needed some bait bands to hold the pellet on the hair rig so a pack on guru bands were purchased




I also bought some Drennan quick change beads, I had seen these in use before and they solve the age old problem of tangles when using a groundbait or maggot feeder. They just pop apart, you tie your mainline on and clip the hooklength on the sliding feeder sits against the bead, so simple yet really effective.

All that was need next was some bait and I was ready to fish




Sonubaits make some of the best pellet around in my opinion and I use it for all my fishing.
I bought it in various sizes to cover every eventuality.
Bait-tech envy method mix for the method feeder fishing and that was my shopping list finished.

I was now ready for my first commercial fishing trip for many years.
Some of the items I have bought and mentioned above I have not used before, so I will offer in session reviews of these items. I, like many others, have to pay for my gear and always look to get a good balance of decent stuff at an affordable price. Sometimes ill pay more if i think its worth it, but if something cheaper does the same job, ill use that. So my views on these items will be unbiased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Guru adjustable catapult

2013 season review

New blog, new season