2012 Season Prep part 2

I have several targets this year, the first one being to catch a known carp from a local club water. The water in question is a group of 3 lakes set within national trust woodland. All 3 lakes are connected, but its the bottom lake that contains the fish im after.
This fish is known as a Leney carp, an extract taken from carp wiki - The Leney Strain of carp is named after early Carp stocking pioneer Donald Leney who originally stocked the correctly titled 'Galician' strain into many waters. These waters such as Redmire and Savay went on to contain some of the most sought after and sizeable fish to swim in British Waters.Famous Leney record carp include the mighty Clarissa, Dick Walker's early record, and later on the Bishop, Chris Yate's famous record smashing UK fifty.




The fish im after is pictured above. It is a fish thats caught in the high 20s to low 30s. The lake does not look at all easy, the fish are regularly seen up in the water and right in the edge. There are other mirror carp in the lake too abit smaller than the biggie above and some smaller common carp in the lake too that look around double figure sized, some are very dark, almost black in colour. It looks like stalking fish is going to be the way to target this water, its quite small, less than an acre. So I plan to bait up spots regularly and fish them in short couple of hour sessions and see how I go. For this reason I have got myself together a stalking set up with a 9ft 2lb tc stalking rod coupled with 12lb line. The lake has a closed season so no fishing it until june 16th, but I have been walking it throughout the closed season and trying to keep in touch with it to try and figure out a plan of attack.

My second target this year is to catch a River Thames Zander. I have never targeted zander before, but they are quite a common occurance now in the River Thames. I have been reading up on rigs, baits and tackle and it seems the same approach for zander is used by perch fisherman so that will be an added bonus too to maybe catch a large perch or 2





Zander are actually an invasive species that were introduced into the norfolk broads - below is an extract taken from [Wikipedia/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zander]

Zander are not indigenous to the UK, but were introduced into the East Anglian (large, partly artificial waterways) in the 20th century and spread rapidly. British waterways included zander among a "dirty dozen" non-native species most likely to harm native wildlife along rivers in Great Britain.Their success in establishing themselves is owed to a number of factors, one of which is that they are particularly well adapted to life in the slow-flowing, sparsely vegetated, rather murky waters that comprise so many of the British lowland rivers. Zander thrive in water with rather low visibility, unlike pike, which often dominate the predator fish niche in clear water.

Being fish eaters, ill be targetting them with fresh coarse fish baits fished on my barbel rods with 10lb line. The record zander stands at over 20lb, I cant imagine I'm even going to catch one of more than 10lb (if I do Ill be over the moon) so my barbel gear will be more than up to the job.

Lastly, Im going to spend more time fishing with my float and feeder rods this year. I have neglected this side of my fishing gear for the past couple of seasons as I have been concentrating on catching barbel (Havent caught one for a couple of years though!!!) All my coarse gear has been sorted, replaced and reels respooled, so im all set for the coming season.

I also have several other items I have bought or replaced during the close season that I will offer a running review of as I use them.

These are -
Guru catapult
maver and preston pellet wagglers
Nash retainer sling
Fox Rapide PVA bag system
Fox Black label 2 rod buzz bars
Ron Thompson 4.5lbtc spod rod Mitchell AvoSpod 70 reel
Linaeffe 3 and 4mtr whips
Mitchell AvoSpod reel

So with 5 days to go until the start of the season, I'm itching to get out and catch some fish. Lets hope all this rain stops before saturday thought!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review - Guru adjustable catapult

2013 season review

New blog, new season